Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: Aesop's Fables to Piracy off the Coast of Somalia

Since it will be my reading next week, I'll start on the Wikipedia page for Aesop's Fables. I hope I can begin to familiarize myself with the stories before I begin reading. From here I learned that Aesop is thought to have been a slave in Ancient Greece, so the next page I clicked on was Slavery in Ancient Greece. This article covered some of the differences in Greek Slavery and the more recent chattel style of slavery from American History. I was already somewhat familiar with this topic from my American History course at OU. I didn't know, however, that some Greek slaves were captured by pirates, and I figured reading up on Piracy would be interesting. I learned that pirates still steal an estimated $16 billion per year. From here, I went to Piracy off the Coast of Somalia. Somalia is a hotbed of modern piracy, below you can see a map of the effected area.

Map of area effected by Somali Piracy, Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick note to say I am so glad you gave this a try, Andrew... it's something a friend of mine and I came up with this summer, and this post is a perfect example of the surprising and informative things that can happen. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete