Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Famous Last Words: The Halfway Point

This week I officially passed the halfway point for this class. This semester is definitely going by quite quickly.

Image result for scheherazade
Scheherazade, from Wikipedia
This week I read 1001 Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H.J. Ford. The multiple layers of meta storytelling really started to get to me by the end of the story. I think it made it more confusing than anything else. I understand that the story of Scheherazade was supposed to make things more tense and interesting for the reader. But, I think that Scheherazade should have ended at no more than two layers from reality. That would have struck a nice balance between using a unique storytelling technique and maintaining readability. As far as the second half of the reading was concerned, I found the original version of Aladdin to not be quite as interesting as the Disney version that I am familiar with. The use of multiple genies and magic objects really threw me for a loop and made things more confusing.

I also continued my telling of Sindbad the Unlucky Sailor, of which part 1 was my first portfolio story last week. I think that part 2 is going to be the ending of all adventures for my Sindbad. In my version, Sindbad does not get along with the elephants as well as he did in the original. I saw no reason the Sindbad's luck should change now. I have enjoyed writing both parts but I think it's time to move on to something new.

As far as my other classes are concerned, I am on a sort of break this week. I had a number of lab reports, tests, and other assignments due last week. Now, nothing is staring me directly in the face which I am grateful for. I am hoping to take some time to relax and get ready for the next round of assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment