Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Friday, September 2, 2016

Week 2 Extra Credit Reading: Hans Christian Andersen

I will be reading Part A of the Hans Christian Andersen collection this week.


  • The Princess and the Pea is a story that I'm familiar with, and I was surprised how close the play I saw was to the original story. Usually people try to remove some of the dark elements from these stories, but I suppose there was not much to remove this time. 
  • I think the story of the emperor is sad. I feel as though he did not mean ill, he took good care of his city, but vanity and insecurity were his only issues. 
The emperor's new clothes
The Emperor's New Suit, from The Phrase Finder
  • Most of the stories really are tragic. I don't really see a message in the story of the Tin Soldier, other than life sucks sometimes and you can't do anything about it expect keep moving forward until you die. I think HCA could have used some Prozac while he was writing. 
  • The Wicked Prince seems like a darker version of Icarus to me. If you become to ambitious and arrogant, it will eventually become your downfall. 
  • The Match Seller also seemed kind of pointless to me. I half expected her to accidentally burn down of the houses while she was playing with matches, but simply freezing to death while hallucinating was not what I expected. 
Thanks for reading with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment