Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Week 5 Reading: 1001 Arabian Nights

This week I am reading The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H.J. Ford. This post will cover part B.

Aladdin and a Genie, from Tales of Faerie

  • I am somewhat familiar with the story of Aladdin, but only the Disney version. I am interested in seeing just how Scheherazade changes the story from what I know to save her own skin. Changing the villian to be African seems mildly racist to me. 
  • The change from a lamp to a ring is interesting, I like the idea of the lamp being a container for the genie. I suppose that the genies are magical beings, and can inhabit a ring. I also find it odd that the genie of the ring is unhappy, calling himself a slave. I wonder if he will be bitter and try to trick Aladdin. 
  • Aladdin seems to be getting everything he wants, I wonder how it will backfire for him.  
  • I feel like genies are maliciously compliant, the genie of the lamp has no sense of loyalty to Aladdin. 
  • The magician having an even more evil brother strikes me as a really cliche way to end a story. 
  • I'm surprised that Aladdin found a happy ending, usually the older fairy tales don't end as happily as the Disney versions. 
Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment