Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: Hansel & Gretel to Napoleon

Hansel and Gretel, from Wikipedia
I started my trail at Hansel and Gretel this week. There is a joke to be made about that, but I'm too tired to think about it right now. It's shockingly recent to me, published in 1812 by The Brothers Grimm. I wanted to probe their dark minds, so I clicked there next and learned that they are from Hanau, Germany and that their stories were used a propaganda by the Third Reich. I clicked on the happier option. Hanau was first mentioned in literature in 1143. The town was destroyed by Napoleon in 1813, after which it was rebuilt. Of course, the first thing I checked was Napoleon's height. he was 5'6", average for his time. What a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment