Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Week 4 Extra Credit Reading: European Fairy Tales I

This week I will be reading Andrew Lang's European Fairy Tales I. This post will cover part A.
Image result for Blue Fairy Book
Cover of The Blue Fairy Book, from Dover Publications
  • Our cat seems smart and cocky, I wonder if that will turn out to be a deadly combination in the end. I can't tell if these are going to be dark stories or not yet. 
  • The cat was doing potentially bad things to help his master. I'm shocked that his scheme worked out entirely for everyone involved. 
  • I find it odd that people in old stories become dramatically thinner in short amounts of time when they are distressed. I've never noticed stress affect a persons weight so sharply before. 
  • I can't tell if some level of hubris is a desired or reviled trait in these stories. The King in the second story seemed to lack confidence so much that it was his downfall, but I feel the boy tricking the Dragon is going to let his confidence carry him too far. 
  • I feel like the person who was really tricked was the King, the Trickster probably had a good idea of what would occur. 
  • Does Knowledge itself kill joy, or does the pursuit of Knowledge kill joy? I think the story ultimately decided on the first option, but the second interpretation has some merit. 
  • Ingibjorg certainly didn't deserve to have her feet cut off. This story might be the weirdest so far. 
Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment