Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Feedback Focus

Image result for revising
Revising, from Prowl Public Relations
Reading Out Loud 
Doing this felt awkward, I can't imagine what my roommates thought I was up to, but it really did force me slow down and acknowledge each word in the story. When I'm reading something in my head, I fill in the gaps left by missing words, and interpret bad grammar without giving it a second thought. By saying every word, I force myself to pay attention when things are missing or not as they should be. 

Copy and Delete 
I wasn't a huge fan of this technique for casual reading, it felt too slow to me. However, if I were editing a longer piece of writing or something technical like a lab report, I see it's value. Somehow splitting the story into small chunks and making a not about each, at the very least about what content was covered, makes it easier for me to see the big picture. I can just go back a quickly read my notes instead of trying to skim the whole story again. I could also leave myself notes about things like plot points, and if they are resolved later on. This is a powerful technique even if it takes me a while. 

Use a Timer 
I like this technique, though I do not think it is as powerful as the others listed here. If I only use this, and not in conjunction with something like Reading Out Loud, I still end up speed reading the story my first time through. Then I realize that I went too fast, and go back to read the story again. Then because I am seeing the story again I get bored and don't pay as much attention. Used alone, this technique will not work for me. I also don't see much of a point in using it with either of the other two, because they are already forcing me to slow down when reading, making the timer redundant. 

Thanks for reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment