Featured Post

Comment Wall

Hello everyone. Feel free to use this post to get in touch with me if you have any general comments or questions.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 6 Reading: Brer Rabbit

This week I am reading Brer Rabbit by Joel Chandler Harris. This post will cover part A.

brer-rabbit
Brer Rabbit, from Sogorep

  • I can tell that this story is placed in the deep South, the Cajun accent is really clear in the reading. It seems that this is a story designed to be told and not read. 
  • Once I move past the language, the story of the Tar Baby had a really clear moral - don't get angry. 
  • I understand what the Coon is saying, that fighting and being brave is important. But, the possum has a good point. Living to see tomorrow is important, and pretending to be dead takes some level of bravery to pull off. 
  • Although the Brer Rabbit later escapes by tricking the fox, his temper landed him there in the first place. 
  • The introduction of Proverbs reminds me a lot of this stories Southern influences. I wonder if this story was inspired at all by Proverbs as a method of story telling, and not only a moral influence. 
  • The similarity between the turtle stories across this, Native American, and Buddhist traditions is surprising to me. I think it's fascinating that people view animal "personalities" so consistently across different cultures. 
  • I wonder how much stories like this are the influence for more modern cartoons like Bugs Bunny - I can easily see a number of similarities. Like characters and themes. 
Thansk for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment